Monday, January 21, 2008

McFadden: I Would Have Gone To Celtic

Birmingham’s new £6million capture James McFadden has admitted that he would have agreed to move to Celtic on loan this month.

McFadden was on the love last week, making his debut for Birmingham at home to Chelsea at the weekend. However, the lifelong Celtic fan could have been a Bhoy had things gone differently – at least on a temporary basis.

Gordon Strachan reportedly swooped with a loan approach in December, but Everton sought cash compensation and McFadden is happy with the eventual outcome.

"Celtic tried to take me on loan before the transfer window opened and I was keen on it at the time but I didn't speak with Gordon Strachan," the 24-year-old told the Daily Record.

However, I'm delighted to come to Birmingham - it will work even better for my career. This is a bigger challenge.

"I don't know what happened at the end. Celtic never came in with a bid for me then (Birmingham boss) Alex McLeish really showed he wanted me here and that was a big thing.

"I wasn't happy not playing at Everton and I did think about the option of going back to Scotland. However, I'm really delighted to be at Birmingham."

No comments: