Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Manzano Outburst Just A Tactic - Schuster

The German coach admitted that he understood the viewpoint on occasion, but believes that it is just a tactic to put pressure on the mtach day officials.

Manzano claimed that Mallorca had never had one big decision go in their favour in Madrid and expects no different when the teams meet in the Copa del Rey tie.

"I just hope that's the case," Schuster joked. "I couldn't ask for more. I hope he's right and that there are penalties and disallowed goals in our favor.

"I'm joking of course. I hope we make it to the next round, but not because of the referee's actions.

"I understand what he said. I don't take part because it hasn't been done with other small teams. When speaking about Real Madrid, the referees are always brought up. It's a kind of tactic.

"Of course I don't like it when a claim like that is made. We all have to be equal. I do worry about Mallorca because they already proved that they can beat us without Güiza.

"They have the chance to eliminate Real Madrid and make it to the next round. They're a good team and a dangerous opponent."

Schuster was not happy as journalists asked him about his team looking to be more entertaining in the second half of the season as well as continuing to win.

I'm shocked to hear you talk about playing well. Looking only at our lineup, we're a more offensive team, the highest scorer, and the second-least scored upon. I disagree with you. There have been matches this year that you didn't see in any of the last three seasons," he continued.

"I feel like sticking up for my team. We had a lot of chances in Levante. Last place teams don't make it very easy. We were the better team and we had two shots hit the post and balls cleared off the line. Let's not get into it. You also have to be objective with Real Madrid.

"I want the same in the second part of the season as we had in the first half, effectiveness. We have to try to reach the end in first place while also maintaining a distance. We need to make it look like everything is under control and we can't concede any goals.

"We're coming up on important stages. In the Champions League a spot in the final is at stake. We have to do well in League and Cup play in January, and it's just what we're doing."

No comments: