Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Gattuso Reveals Retirement Plans Gennaro Gattuso has admitted that he is considering calling it a career – though thankfully for Milan fans he aims t

With a staggering 250 games under his belt since joing the Rossoneri from Salernitana in 1999, the ultra-combaive midfielder has already cemented his name in the San Siro folklore. Despite his engine still firing on all cylinders at 30, Gattuso has no ambitions of following in Paolo Maldini’s mold by playing on for another ten years.

“These days they wouldn’t miss me much,” insisted 'il Rino’.

“I’ll play for another three or four years and then I’m hoping to finish my career in the Milan shirt.”

Any Rangers fans that catch win of Gattuso’s interview with Gazzetta dello Sport will no doubt be disappointed that he made no mention of his vow to end his career at the Ibrox, where he enjoyed a memorable loan spell during the 97/98 season.

In fact, the Azzurri star made the most of AC Milan’s winter break by training with his old friends at Rangers, during which he reiterated a promise to return to the club in the future while he has “still got something to offer them, at European level as well as Scottish”.

The Glasgow press quoted Gattuso as describing how he has “a debt towards Rangers fans because of the way I left. They helped me get where I am. I just have to go back, it’s a promise I have made to myself and David Murray. There won’t be any problems with money. I know they are going through a bad time financially, and I won’t go there to take a pension either.”

No comments: