Monday, January 14, 2008

Hinkel Content With Celtic Debut Andreas Hinkel was happy to get his Celtic debut out of the way, en route to a comfortable victory over Stirling...

New Celtic right-back Andreas Hinkel looked assured on his Celtic debut as the hoops shrugged off First Division Stirling in the Scottish Cup.

He was named the sponsors’ man of the match and his confident display will be of great comfort to Gordon Strachan, whose defence has been uncharacteristically shaky this term on account of injury woes.

Since the 25-year-old German made the £1.9million switch from Sevilla, he has come under fire from Bundesliga outfit Borussia Dortmund, who were also vying for his signature.

They cited a lack of ambition, but Hinkel has insisted Celtic Park is the best place to enhance his reputation as he aims for a return to the Germany squad.

"Having already played against Celtic in European competition, I am well aware of the magnificent stadium and wonderful passionate support which the club enjoys."

However, the defender played 10 minutes of Champions League football for Sevilla this season and will have to wait to taste the Parkhead European nights.

Therefore, Celtic’s comfortable victory over Stirling in the Fourth Round clash wouldn’t have impressed his countrymen, but Hinkel was glad of the run-out.

"I think I did okay in my first game for Celtic at home," he said.

"I have been here for a week and I need time but I enjoyed it. I think I need more games to get my rhythm, to play better and learn how Celtic play.

"It was a cup game against a smaller team and it is the same all over the world, it's not easy playing against small teams."

No comments: