Monday, January 14, 2008

Pires: I Can Do More Villarreal midfielder Robert Pires has admitted that he is not in the best form of late and that he needs to give more to the te

Speaking after Villarreal's 4-3 victory over Deportivo on Sunday, Pires indicated that the game had been tough on the players but that they were happy to have got their first home victory for two months in La Liga.

"It is true that it took a lot for us to win and you can see that in all the players. This game has been more difficult that we expected but we have gained a victory and I hope this helps us regain our confidence," he told Marca.

Despite finally getting an illusive home win, Pires still feels there is much room for improvement from the team.

"We had gone two months without winning at home and needed a victory. But we are conscious that we must work and improve much more to return to the top places in the league.

"We are first to admit that all is not right, so we must work together to correct the problems."

Pires himself knows that he can add more to the team than he is currently giving and is going to strive to improve his form in the coming weeks.

"The season is long and there will be moments where things don't go well. I already know that I am not on good form, but my primary concern is for Villarreal to improve and I will do the best thing for the team.

"I know that I can create more opportunities and perform better on the pitch. I do not know why this is so. I do not believe that it is physical nor mental, but I know that I am not performing as people expect and I am first to recognize that I must do more. I am not at my best moment but improvement will arrive."

Finally, he was asked about the supporters at El Madrigal, who have started to boo the team in recent weeks due to their poor home performances.

"Some days they boo you and on others they applaud you. It is not possible to keep everyone content.

"I request to them that when we are playing that they should not boo; leave it until the end of game. We already know that we are not playing well, we know it; if they want to boo they should do it at the end," he concluded.

No comments: